The museum complex of the National University of Ostroh Academy includes a part of the premises of the XVIII century, which are an architectural monument of local significance. An interesting exhibition section is the so-called “memory room” – an exhibition dedicated to the history of the buildings of the modern academy.
First of all the premises were built for the monastery of the Catholic Order of Friars Minor Capuchins. The monastery existed from 1775 to 1832. After the Polish uprising of 1831, the monastery was closed, and the buildings stood empty. In 1865-1922 there was a women’s school named after Count Dmitry Bludov.
During the interwar period, the buildings that previously belonged to the monastery housed a Polish teacher’s seminary, and after 1945 – a Soviet pedagogical school, as the territory was ceded to the USSR. Later, there was a boarding school (1956-1986), a sanatorium for children with attenuated forms of tuberculosis (1986-1992), a secondary school №4 (1992-1994). Already in 1994, all the buildings were transferred to the Ostroh Academy. The exposition presents documents and things that belonged to the previous owners of the premises of the modern academy.
One of the most exciting exhibits of this hall is the inner monastery well. Its existence has not been known for a long time. During the operation of the Capuchin monastery, this room was a kitchen, and monks used the well. After the closure of the monastery by the tsarist authorities, the premises fell into disrepair, then used for the needs of various educational institutions. According to some sources, the well was used even in the postwar years of the XX century. However, later, the aboveground part of the well was destroyed, and at the floor level, the well was covered with boards. Over time, it was forgotten, and during the boarding school, the room was a dormitory for boys. The children, unaware that the bed in the room was standing on a well, often fell ill. The secret of the Capuchin well was unfolded during the revival of the academy. The well was found during repair work. Today its depth reaches 25 meters. Tourists and guests of the academy often toss coins during the tour, creating their legends about this place.