Skip to content

Ostroh Academy History Exposition

Ostroh Academy History Exposition is located in the oldest building of the university and consists of three rooms. The display illustrates the history of the Ostroh Academy of 1576-1636 and the restored academy from 1994 to the present day.

Unfortunately, the documentary set of sources that would fully reveal the history of the Ostroh Academy has not preserved. To reproduce and visualize the entire foundation process and activities of the Academy, the museum designed an exhibition in which they recreated the main events and development stages of the first higher educational institution of Eastern Europe.

Among the original items in the display are coins, tiles, dishes dating back to the 16th-18th centuries, discovered by the history and culture students during archaeological excavations, which were conducted under the guidance of archaeologist Oleksandr Bondarchuk. Engaging exhibits and portraits of its figures illustrate the history of the Ostroh Academy.

Lecture notes of the Ostroh Academy student. Early 17th c.

The icing on the cake makes a copy of the lecture notes of Ostroh Academy student from the beginning of the 17th century. The studies was conducted in several languages. Students studied Greek, Latin, and Church Slavonic, as well as Polish and possibly Aramaic. The lecture notes shows that student traditions have not changed much for 400 years. There are records from three different subjects: arithmetic, rhetoric and astronomy. It is a valuable source for understanding the educational process in the early Ostroh Academy.

A large section of the museum exposition is devoted to the recent history of the Ostroh Academy. Here are exhibited presidents’ decrees, documents and photos of the period of revival and formation of the academy, gifts from numerous guests of NaUOA

The museum houses the 27th international trophy for quality, which was awarded to the Academy on March 22, 1999, in Paris for high-quality educational technology.